Pitblado Law is a business-minded law firm that cares about people, is passionate about our community, and is driven by working together to enrich the lives and businesses we touch. We have a bold vision, and the only way to achieve it is by earning the trust of every client, every day.
We are currently seeking a Corporate Services Paralegal to join our team. Reporting to the Partner in Charge of the Corporate Services Department, the Corporate Services Paralegal is primarily responsible for preparing legal documents, arranging for required government filings, maintaining records minute books, files and corporate database. The Corporate Services Paralegal assists lawyers with a wide variety of tasks related to the preparation and drafting a wide range of legal documents and will work on multiple transactions and matters simultaneously. The Corporate Services Paralegal must have a strong working knowledge of related federal and provincial laws.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Preparing and drafting corporate documents including:
- incorporations, including for profit, non-profit and professional corporations
- articles of amendment
- extra-provincial registrations
- registrations of partnerships and limited partnerships, including all change forms
- documents for share transfers, sales, purchases, transmission of shares and redemptions
- preparing documents for changes to corporate structure
- section 85 and section 86 transactions
- reporting letters
- Organizing and updating minute books following various transactions;
- Reviewing minute books, identifying and correcting any deficiencies ensuring key details are entered into the corporate database. Scanning articles and by-laws from the minute books and entering information into the database;
- Arranging for required government filings such as articles, notices of change, annual returns, limited partnership and business name registrations;
- Preparing necessary documentation for the declaration of dividends and bonuses;
- Assisting with document revisions, as required;
- Liaising with lawyers, clients and external contacts in a professional manner;
- Providing the supervising lawyer(s) with the support and assistance needed to complete client transactions;
- Opening and closing files;
- Organizing and maintaining files on a current basis;
- Drafting a variety of legal documents, letters, memorandums, emails;
- Preparing client billings in accordance with Firm standards and policies;
- Supervising and assisting the corporate clerks in the Corporate Department;
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of the process and procedures of Corporations Branch, Corporations Canada and ESC Corporate Services;.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of current relevant legislation, as required;
- Performing other related duties as may be assigned from time to time and any other duties as assigned;
- Paralegal or Legal Assistant certificate or diploma from a recognized institution.
- 3-5 years of working experience.
- Working knowledge of provincial and federal laws and terminology.
- Experience with drafting legal documents.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail, analytical
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to liaise and maintain positive working relationship with lawyers, clients and external clients.
- Strong computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to handle several time sensitive projects simultaneously.
Pitblado Law offers a friendly work environment, a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, including a RRSP/DPSP plan.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume in confidence stating salary expectations and references by applying online at http://www.pitblado.com/careers.
Please include in the subject line of your email: Corporate Services Paralegal.
We thank all applicants however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.