Brad has a broad corporate and commercial practice with a focus on business structuring, professional incorporation, tax-driven re-organizations, and sales and acquisitions of owner-managed, privately-held businesses and professional practices.
Brad regularly gives advice on issues related to initial business structuring, professional incorporations, re-organizations and wind-ups of business entities, sales and acquisitions of businesses and professional practices, financing and secured lending, commercial leasing and real estate, commercial and construction contracts and certain tax issues related to such matters. Other areas of practice include structuring and governance of non-profit organizations and registered charities.
While primarily focused on corporate and commercial law, Brad acts as a liaison between Pitblado’s corporate and commercial law practice group and its tax group.
Brad has experience in establishing various types of businesses in Manitoba for both resident and non-resident owners and is conversant with the issues that arise when foreign entities wish to establish a business presence in Manitoba.
In addition to being a business lawyer, Brad is also a retired professional mechanical engineer.
Lectures, Speeches and Publications:
- Brad regularly gives presentations to financial institutions, wealth managers and industry associations on a variety of legal topics, including issues associated with business structuring and secured lending transactions.
- Presenter, Manitoba Partnership Law, Manitoba Bar Association Midwinter Conference, January 20, 2017
- Author, "Shareholders_Agreements: A different kind of insurance for your business", Manitoba Insurance Broker Magazine, Summer 2016
- Author, Pitblado blog, “To be continued...(or not?)”, October 18, 2014
- Author, Pitblado blog, “Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act takes effect October 17, 2011”, November 28, 2011 – view update, August 5, 2014
- Author, Pitblado blog, “Physician, Incorporate Thyself!”, September 2, 2010
- Author, Pitblado blog, “It’s a FINE day for a boat ride!”, June 11, 2010
- Author, Pitblado blog, “Should I Apologize for this PitbLAWg Post?”, April 27, 2010
- Author, Pitblado blog, “Fake ID and the GST”, March 18, 2010
- Author, Pitblado blog, “The Importance of Quitting”, February 17, 2010
- Author, Pitblado blog, “Not-So-Simple Non-Comps (Part 2)”, February 9, 2010
- Author, Pitblado blog, “Not-So-Simple Non-Comps (Part 1)”, February 3, 2010
- Author, Pitblado blog, “Hands Free only in Cottage Country”, January 25, 2010
Honours and Awards:
- D.A. Thompson, Q.C. Prize – Highest standing in section of Income Tax Law and Policy
- H.I. Corne Prize – Highest standing in Problems in Contract and Tort
- Anthony G. Draper Memorial Prize – Highest standing of 3rd year student in Remedies
- D.A. Thompson, Q.C. Prize – Highest standing of a graduating student in Remedies
- Director, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Winnipeg Inc.
- Mentor, University of Manitoba Law Students
Memberships and Associations:
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Manitoba
Academic and Professional:
- Registered (retired) Professional Engineer (P.Eng)