Brant is a Partner and member of the Firm's Executive Committee.
His practice is focused on corporate and commercial law. His advice covers a broad range of areas and industries and includes transactional work, mergers and acquisitions, the preparation and negotiation of agreements, business structuring and organization, financing matters, and secured transactions.
In the commercial real estate field, Brant advises developers, REITS, institutional funds, and banks and credit unions, on matters related to buying, selling, developing, or financing commercial real estate in Manitoba.
In addition, Brant understands entertainment law and has experience in addressing the complexities of intellectual property rights and rights acquisitions. He also drafts and negotiates agreements and advises clients on deal terms related to creating, developing, producing, financing, and distributing music, films, plays, books, video games, and other artistic products in Manitoba.
Brant is often asked to act as Manitoba counsel for law firms and businesses located in jurisdictions outside of Manitoba for a wide range of matters including financing, contract negotiation, transaction and deal closings, and the formation of Manitoba partnerships.
Throughout his career, Brant has been counsel or part of the team involved in numerous mid-market and large transactions across a wide variety of industries. Recent experience includes acting for a large pharmaceutical vendor in a sale of its local business unit, providing local advice to a large Canadian REIT on its sale to an international property brokerage, and providing advice to a producer and writer joint venture related to an expansion of an entertainment industry studio business in Manitoba.
While growing up in rural Manitoba, Brant has called Winnipeg home since 1998. Brant believes in giving back to his community and he is currently an executive member of the Board of Directors Variety - The Children's Charity of Manitoba and the Chair of the Business Law Section of the Manitoba Bar Association.
Lectures, Speeches and Publications:
- Author, Pitblado COVID-19 Resource Centre, "Manitoba Film Industry is Open: Now What?", June 10, 2020
- Author, Pitblado COVID-19 Resource Centre, "Film Re-Opening and the Music Industry", May 22, 2020
- Co-Author (with Nicole Deniset), Pitblado COVID-19 Resource Centre, "Manitoba Declares State of Emergency - COVID-19", May 22, 2020
- Author, Pitblado COVID-19 Resource Centre, "COVID-19 and Business Transactions", March 24, 2020
- Chair, Business Law Section, Manitoba Bar Association, Present
- Executive Member, Board of Directors, Variety - The Children’s Charity of Manitoba, 2015 – Present
- Director and Treasurer, Triathlon Manitoba, 2010 – 2014
Memberships and Associations:
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association