Karen is a litigation lawyer whose practice is focused on civil, construction, insurance and commercial litigation and arbitration. Karen assists clients with a variety of matters, including shareholder disputes, negligence claims and contractual disputes, insurance litigation, creditor/debtor disputes, employment litigation and human rights issues.
Karen has a particular focus on construction-related litigation, acting for owners, contractors, sub-contractors, architects and engineers in complex construction disputes.
She has appeared at all levels of court in Manitoba, and acts as counsel before arbitrators and administrative tribunals. She has also appeared before the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal, and regularly negotiates resolutions through private mediation and formal judicially-assisted dispute resolution (JADR).
Karen has also been a presiding member of the Housing Cooperative Appeal Tribunal since 2014.
Lectures, Speeches and Publications:
- Regular Instructor, Online CPLED Articling Student Course
- Co-Presenter (with Elizabeth Bima and Matthew Maslanka), Small Claims Primer, Young Lawyers’ Section, Law Society of Manitoba, June 2016
- Co-Presenter (with Claudette Perreault and Matthew Maslanka), Small Claims Primer, Young Lawyers’ Section, Law Society of Manitoba, June 2015
- Co-Presenter (with Matthew Maslanka), Small Claims Primer, Young Lawyers’ Section, Law Society of Manitoba, July 2014
- Co-Author (with Steve Vincent), “How you can avoid common Errors and Omissions problems”, Manitoba Insurance Broker Magazine, December 2013
- Regular Presenter, Legal Help Centre Small Claims Workshop, 2012/2013
- Co-Presenter (with Georgina Garrett), Small Claims Primer, Young Lawyers’ Section, Law Society of Manitoba, June 14, 2013
- Co-Presenter (with Adam Herstein), “Client Contract and Litigation Primer for Artists”, ACI Manitoba, October 25, 2012
- Co-Presenter (with Adam Herstein), “Clients are awesome, except when they’re not. A guide to project contracts”, New Media Manitoba, March 20, 2012
- Acted for plaintiff in litigation involving construction and design deficiencies in large residential complex
- Acted for successful plaintiff in litigation concerning Part II of The Limitation of Actions Act
- Acted for successful applicant in judicial review of decision of the Veterans Review and Appeal Board of Canada
- Acted for defendant employer in dismissing employee claim for delay
Honours and Awards:
- Wilson Moot Cup Participant, 2008
- Solomon Greenberg Moot finalist, 2007
- Max and Manly Isaacs Prize, 2006
- Ryerson Graduate Scholarship for academic excellence, 2002 – 2004
- Dean’s Honour List, University of Manitoba, 1997 – 2000
Memberships and Associations:
- Manitoba Bar Association, Construction subsection, Present
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association, Civil Litigation subsection, 2016 – 2017