Kathleen has been practicing civil litigation since receiving her call to the Bar in 2007. Her main areas of practice are commercial litigation, professional negligence and discipline, insurance, and personal and property litigation.
From 2011 to 2013, Kathleen served among a team of lawyers as Associate Commission Counsel to the Commission of Inquiry Surrounding the Circumstances into the Death of Phoenix Sinclair. The inquiry, which looked into the child welfare services delivered to Phoenix and her family, and into Phoenix's death, was one of Manitoba's largest and most complex public inquiries.
Kathleen obtained her Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Manitoba in 2006, where she was awarded the University Gold Medal for the highest standing in the Bachelor of Laws program. She was also the recipient of several awards for performance in advocacy courses.
Kathleen has been a member of the Manitoba Bar Association Council since 2011, and has also served on the Executive Committee of The Laurel Centre Inc., a not-for-profit organization providing counseling to survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
Lectures, Speeches and Publications:
- Author, “An overview of E-discovery”, Manitoba Insurance Broker Magazine, Spring 2015
- R. v. Hendry, 2009 MBQB 256
- McDiarmid Lumber v. Gallant et al, 2008 MBQB 110
Honours and Awards:
- Manitoba Bar Association / Public Interest Law Centre, Pro Bono Award Co-Recipient (with Andrew Buck and David Silver), 2019
- University Gold Medal, Bachelor of Laws Program, University of Manitoba, 2006
- Dean’s Honour List, Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba, 2004 – 2006
- D’Arcy McCaffrey, Q.C. Memorial Award for Advocacy, Faculty of Law, 2006
- Manitoba Bar Association Solomon Greenberg Prize in Advocacy, 2005
- A.J. Christie Prize in Advocacy, Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba, 2005
- Council Member, Manitoba Bar Association, 2011 – Present
- Board of Directors, The Laurel Centre Inc., Member 2007 – 2013, 2014, Chair 2016 – Present
- Fundraising Committee, Legal Help Centre, 2010 – 2011
- Manitoba Bar Association Midwinter Planning Committee, 2009 – 2010
Memberships and Associations:
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
Academic and Professional:
- Associate Lawyer, Pitblado LLP, March 2014 – Present
- Associate Lawyer, Hill Sokalski Walsh Trippier LLP, June 2009 – February 2014
- Associate Commission Counsel, Commission of Inquiry into the Circumstances Surrounding the Death of Phoenix Sinclair, April 2011 – December 2013
- Associate Lawyer, Taylor McCaffrey LLP, June 2007 – June 2009
- Summer Student/Articling Student, Taylor McCaffrey LLP, 2005 – June 2007