Developing standards, preserving values.
Our involvement in environmental law continues to grow as communities are increasing demand on environmental stewardship. Pitblado helps clients develop environmental standards in their current business and operating policies to ensure compliance and avoid liability.
We provide guidance from planning to final approval stage, and act with respect to public consultation and public hearing processes. We have addressed First Nations challenges touching cross-border issues and international law, and also provide services related to environmental hearings on behalf of provincial authorities, aboriginal claims, financing and environmental due diligence work for wind farms, contaminated site cleanups, and processes to deal with them. This approach also includes education of corporate clients about Officer and Director Liability and corporate social responsibility for environmental issues regarding the required policies and practices.
We have extensive experience advising clients on all aspects of natural resources in Manitoba and beyond, including mining, aggregates, petroleum, electricity and agriculture. Our approach covers every aspect of the natural resource business, including:
- Aboriginal business agreements, aboriginal and community engagement
- Confidentiality, exclusivity, rights of entry, letters of intent
- Debt and equity financing, including flow-through share transactions
- Drafting option agreements, farm-ins, earn-ins and leases
- Engineering, construction, operating, milling, smelter, refining and sale agreements
- Environmental assessments, site plans, permitting, closure and reclamation
- Environmental finance, renewable and distributed energy and co-gen projects
- Expropriation matters
- Intellectual property protection and licencing for natural resource companies
- JV and shareholder agreements
- Litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution
- Personnel, supplier and aviation contracts for remote camps
- Pooling and unitization
- Power purchase, transmission and distribution agreements
- Resolving resource tenure, title and land use issues
- Resource title, securities compliance and opinion work
- Secured transactions in connection with resource assets
- Share and asset acquisitions and transfers of resource interests
- Streaming and off-take agreements
- Structuring royalty provisions
- Taxation of natural resource transactions and business structures
- Transportation agreements including rail and shipping
Manitoba has the right mix of infrastructure, low power prices and steady economic growth to spur world class opportunities in the natural resources sector. Pitblado offers clients a gateway to realizing the Manitoba advantage.