Helping to develop our community.
We act for all types of Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs), Not-for-Profit Corporations (NFPs), and Charitable Organizations. This includes charitable groups, societies, trade organizations and private family charities. The Pitblado lawyers working in this area have extensive experience in the field and draw on the many resources of the Firm to provide a broad range of services to these clients.
We assist in the establishment of charitable organizations, aid in obtaining registered charitable status and advise on legal and tax issues. We provide advice on the establishment, implementation and continuing administration of planned giving programs. A majority of our professionals and staff serve as volunteers in the charitable sector.
Our work for foundations, charities and not-for-profits includes:
- Creating appropriate organizational structures (such as a society, corporation, trust or other legal entity)
- Formulating and revising mission statements
- Obtaining registered charitable status
- Income tax matters
- Corporate governance issues
- Establishment, implementation and administration of planned giving programs
- Tax-efficient fundraising, charitable and gifting structures