November 1, 2018 Deadline to Implement an Accessible Customer Service Policy
In 2013, Manitoba expressed a commitment to improving accessibility measures for all Manitobans, with the introduction of The Accessibility for Manitobans Act (the Act). Committed to improving the health, independence and well-being of persons disabled by barriers, the Act’s Customer Service Standard Regulation seeks to ensure that all Manitobans, regardless of ability, have the same opportunity to obtain, use or benefit from a good or service.
To achieve its goal of removing and preventing barriers, the Act requires businesses and organizations with at least one Manitoba employee, who provide goods or services directly to the public or to another organization in Manitoba, to implement an Accessible Customer Service Policy. The deadline to do so is November 1, 2018.
The Accessible Customer Service Policy must indicate how the organization will:
- Meet the communication needs of people with disabilities;
- Accommodate the use of assistive devices;
- Allow the use of service animals and support persons;
- Implement and maintain accessibility features;
- Notify the public when an accessibility feature is temporarily unavailable;
- Train employees on accessible customer service;
- Welcome and respond to feedback about accessible customer service.
Failure to implement an Accessible Customer Service Policy could result in your organization being issued a fine, under the Act.